Applications are due by 11:59PM (PST) on Wednesday March 20th, 2019.
** Applications Due: April 14th @ 11:59PM, NO EXCEPTIONS
Accelerator will be June 17, 2019 - September 6, 2019
Accelerator teams will be notified in early May 2019
Each Accelerator team will be given: $10,000 in seed financing, dedicated office space in Downtown SLO, access to our Mentor Network, workshops and more!
Team Members are: Full-time participants (not consultants or contractors)
- All businesses must have at least two team members
- All team members must be in SLO during the entire accelerator
- Priority given to upperclassmen
This is not a class, or a school project. This is an accelerator meant to get your full-time business off the ground. As such, we expect every team member to be committed to the process, to be present every day, and to participate in all workshops/activities. If you plan to take a vacation or to be away for an extended period of time, this is not the program for you.
We are looking for committed teams who are ready to work hard, build their business and have an amazing experience!
The Hatchery is an on-campus program for the Cal Poly Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship that fosters entrepreneurship initiatives and the development of student-led startups. The program is open for all Cal Poly students interested in learning about starting a business and how you get from an idea to a company.
Through mentorship, weekly workshops, startup assignments, and an array of other activities and events, students will gain hands-on experience in launching a company. They will develop essential entrepreneurial skills in communication, goal setting, and leadership. The Hatchery bridges the silos that separate students in their respective colleges with the philosophy that multidisciplinary teams are essential to the success of building a business.
The main pillars of The Hatchery include:
- Weekly Workshops– Participants in The Hatchery will meet for weekly workshops designed to provide an interactive framework for teaching entrepreneurial lessons. Instead of the standard “lecture,” mentors will facilitate discussions and activities geared toward various startup topics, such as customer development, pitching, finance, and market analysis.
- Shared Office Space– 24-7 access to The Hatchery will be granted to participating students that have met certain criteria of business development and commitment. Access will be determined by the CIE Innovation Coordinator and The Hatchery Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) on a rolling basis. Hatchery teams with 24-7 access will be able to use the facility for meetings, brainstorming, and working on their business as well as for networking with other Hatchery teams.
- Peer Network– The peer network that develops organically at The Hatchery is invaluable. Being surrounded by a group of like-minded and driven individuals cultivates a culture of shared-learning and creativity that’s unique to The Hatchery. Roundtable discussions encourage the flow of ideas and allow students to share valuable feedback and knowledge with others in the program.
- Mentor Network– The Cal Poly Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship has established a vast network of mentors in the community, from technology entrepreneurs to accountants and attorneys. The Hatchery engages these mentors through content workshops and founders’ stories sessions, and facilitates the connection with specific teams as needed.